PDA

View Full Version : Vic Park

Admin
07 Sep 09, 7:30 PM
Who started their drinking days in Vic Park then? It used to be the place to go when I was in sixth form (88\89). Big Ian Morgan used to work the door so there was never much bother.

This was place that started the whole Jarrow Elvis, Hebburn Cliff & Junior Elvis thing. We had some good times in there and the owner (Blakey?) must have been raking it.

Cait
07 Sep 09, 7:34 PM
Vic Park ? ..lol...Admin you lost me..lol..:tea:was this in old hebburn or Newtown?.

colin
12 Sep 09, 1:19 PM
Vic Park, a great music venue in its day, seen some great local bands there, even played a couple of times myself with House Party. Vic park later became Jumping Jacks until it was sadly burnt down...which I still find strange.

Admin
13 Sep 09, 10:13 AM
Vic Park ? ..lol...Admin you lost me..lol..:tea:was this in old hebburn or Newtown?.
Opposite the swimming baths. There's an old folks home there now after Vic Park burned down.

Admin
13 Sep 09, 10:14 AM
Vic Park, a great music venue in its day, seen some great local bands there, even played a couple of times myself with House Party. Vic park later became Jumping Jacks until it was sadly burnt down...which I still find strange.

Did you ever play with any of the greats?, Jarrow Elvis, Hebburn Cliff etc?;)

Yes, there was a lot of rumours doing the rounds when it burned down.

colin
13 Sep 09, 10:52 AM
All jokes aside, Ifound the Jarrow Elvis thing to be in bad taste,exploitation comes to mind, but that is just my personal point of view. When you look back at it! it wasn't really entertainment was it?

stevie
13 Sep 09, 4:47 PM
victoria park used to be the hebburn trades and labour club.had some brilliant nights there where they had all the top bands and comedians around like:
arthur twostroke,.
747, dreamer, wallop, linda wright and invision
zoots navarro, the news, house party (colins band)
comedians:
freddies beano, frank carson,bernard manning,wor bobby and many more.

the worst was black lace im still traumatised after watching them and i actually payed to see it even worse.

colin
13 Sep 09, 8:10 PM
hold on a minute, thats not the same stevie I remember going in the dressing room, after the show, and asking them if they would sign a copy of Agadoo for you.. is it?

stevie
13 Sep 09, 8:22 PM
dont think so if i had gone in it would be with a hammer they mimed all night even that was bad its the last time im going to watch one of your favourite bands

Cait
13 Sep 09, 11:58 PM
Hi Stevie, welcome to the Hebburn Forum, looking forward to reading your posts about Hebburn, and if you have any sport photos start up an Album like others have on site. Cheers Cait:)

stevie
14 Sep 09, 10:49 AM
hi cait, i have and i will
steve

Admin
15 Sep 09, 8:35 AM
victoria park used to be the hebburn trades and labour club.had some brilliant nights there where they had all the top bands and comedians around like:
arthur twostroke,.
747, dreamer, wallop, linda wright and invision
zoots navarro, the news, house party (colins band)
comedians:
freddies beano, frank carson,bernard manning,wor bobby and many more.

the worst was black lace im still traumatised after watching them and i actually payed to see it even worse.
Never knew that stevie. That's some pretty big names that have appeared.

SpiderMam
25 Nov 09, 5:38 PM
Sorry but I have to put you right on Jarrow Elvis, Hebburn Cliff etc. They both started out at the Robin Hood and Jarrow Lad which was also owned by Jess before he bought Vic Park. Pelaw Gino was launched at Vic Park though : )

Admin
25 Nov 09, 7:48 PM
Sorry but I have to put you right on Jarrow Elvis, Hebburn Cliff etc. They both started out at the Robin Hood and Jarrow Lad which was also owned by Jess before he bought Vic Park. Pelaw Gino was launched at Vic Park though : )

Thanks for the correction Spiderman :thumb:.

Did you ever see them in the Robin Hood\Jarrow Lad?, was it the same set up as in Vic Park? They were good entertainment but you couldn't help feel they wee being exploited.

colin
25 Nov 09, 11:04 PM
Er, its spidermam Paul not spiderman, I wonder if its spidermans spidermam? ah, I'm confused now:confused:

SpiderMam
26 Nov 09, 10:13 AM
Hiya

Yep, I did see them in both places and also a couple of times at the clock when Bill Corr and Mick Lewis owned it, but they didn't like "using" the two of them so opted for other singers who could actually sing :)

Admin
26 Nov 09, 6:34 PM
Er, its spidermam Paul not spiderman, I wonder if its spidermans spidermam? ah, I'm confused now:confused:

Ooops!

Nah, it would be Spiderma ;).

colin
26 Nov 09, 10:16 PM
They were the best nights ever in the clock, when billy and mick played there, and believe me they could play anything...great nights.